Thursday, February 25, 2016

WFTDA skating assessment

...went something like this:

TEST GIVER: Okay, now we're gonna do unexpected light hits.  Look in towards the center.
ME: I lost a wheel.
TEST GIVER: Heh, heh, that's good. (Hits me.)
ME: No, seriously.  I LOST A WHEEL.
(does not fall over; go me)

Yeah, I think the nuts holding my wheels on are pretty much shot.  Fortunately that's my old skates; my new ones have brand new shiny nylony lock nut wonderfulness.

So, yeah, I did the skating assessment for WFTDA certification last night.  My lap time wasn't as good as the last time I did it - 1:43 - but (a) the track was crazy slick and I did not want to fall and (b) I'd just jam reffed a scrimmage.

In other news....

Before my right rotator cuff kind of said HEY I WANT ATTENTION I'M GOING TO REQUIRE SURGERY, I was always convinced that my left knee would be the thing that ended my derby career.  My doctor determined I was developing arthritis in 2010; in January 2012 I sprained my MCL; in October 2013 I sprained my ACL.

It started bothering me again over the weekend - but only when I was walking.  I could skate fine, but I'd have to limp all over the place otherwise.  I am going to treat it with a healthy dose of denial.


No comments:

Post a Comment