Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Chaya Skates Review, Part 1

Warning: I abuse the Caps Lock key a lot.

My knowledge of roller skate technology sort of began and ended in 2012, when I last bought skates (Riedell 495 boots, Avenger DA magnesium plates).  I'd see fellow skaters with Antiks and Bonts and be all LA LA LA I DON'T NEED NEW SKATES RIGHT NOW SO I'LL JUST WATCH THAT ONE EPISODE OF HOW IT'S MADE OVER AND OVER AND PRETEND THEY'RE MAKING MY SKATES.

In the last few months, though, they were just getting too stretched out.  When I jam ref, I start on my toe stops and walk along during the scrum until everything breaks out and then I actually start skating.  My toes were starting to hurt because they were sliding to the front of the skate.  So, I figured I should bite the bullet and procure new skates.

I went to Ilana, proprietoress of Turnaround Skates, and threw myself at her mercy.  She had two recommendations - Antik MG-2 and Chaya, a new skate that she hadn't been able to get anyone else to try out but that she could get a special offer on.

I love shiny new toys and I am all about special offers, so I was like YES LET ME TRY THE CHAYA THEY SOUND SWEEEEEEEEET.

I was so excited for them - they looked soooo cool.  I'd tell people I was getting new skates and be all LET ME SHOW YOU WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE (bring up the website) AREN'T THOSE AMAZING LOOKING ZOMG.

So this past Saturday I went out to her house to pick them up.

I scrunched and shoved and THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE THIS TIGHT, RIGHT? I HAVEN'T MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE? my feet into them.  I tried not to have my feet get claustrophobic but when they're CLAMPED DOWN AND JUST CAN'T MOVE it's kinda difficult.

But then....then.  The heat molding.

I'd heard of heat molding but never seen it done before. I thought they just took the insole and popped it in the oven but no, the whole skate gets thrown (figuratively thrown) into the oven.  It's kinda cool.

Once the skates were heated up, they were MUCH easier to get on.  Put the wheels on quick and then I just wore them until they cooled to the CONTOURS OF MY FEET ROLLER SKATE TECHNOLOGY IS WOW.  My feet still do not move, but it's a THEY DON'T MOVE BECAUSE THEY ARE IN A SNUG LOVING EMBRACE and not because THEY ARE BEING RESTRAINED IN A CLOCKWORK ORANGE-TYPE SITUATION.  My ankles were also like OH HEY I'M GETTING HELD ONTO WHAT IS THIS MADNESS. The Riedell 495s have ankle locks (you thread your laces through a strap that's supposed to hold your ankle) but I could never get them to do anything.

And it's not, like, once you do it they're permanently that way until you die!  If part of the skate is rubbing on my foot weirdly, I can REHEAT IT AND SHOVE SOMETHING IN THAT SPOT SO IT STICKS OUT AND DOESN'T RUB.  ZOMFG.  TECHNOLOGY!

 Anyway, my first impressions, beyond the OMG THE PRETTY:

The plates (Ophira 45°) are interesting - they don't mount like regular plates, with bolts and drilled holes and whatnot.  They clip onto the skates.  Apparently you can use the plates on other boots (there are mounting holes) and you can use the boots with other plates (you can remove the clips).  I wonder if having the mounts in a single line down the middle of the boot will affect the feel - if the edges of the plate will wobble.

Everything is kind of packed into a small place - the front kingpin is really close to the front wheels which are really close to the toe stop.  Unless I use a crescent wrench, I don't think I can adjust the trucks without removing the wheels.  The toe stops that come with the skates (Cherry Bomb toe stops) have small divots cut out around the edges to accommodate the wheel.  I don't know that my current toestops (Bionic Super Stoppers) will fit.

I'm not sure if my toe guards will work with them; I didn't try.  I hate to break up the aesthetics of the boot (because, well, LOOK AT THOSE BOOTS THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL).

So tonight will be my first time actually using them - I will update then!

No comments:

Post a Comment