Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Still on a tournament high

 So beyond the learning of derby stuff, I learned a few other important things:
  1. Bring at least a pillow and blanket.  Ideally bring a tent and inflatable mattress.
  2. Earplugs.  Even if you don't use them while officiating.  Presume that the venue will be crazy loud and this will help with #1. (Worst part was that I had earplugs but I'd left them at the hotel.)
  3. I was officiating two games a day, so I hung two bags off my gear bag, each of which held a full officiating uniform (including underwear and socks). Finish one game, change back into civilian clothes (since there was about 4.5 hours between my games), put the sweaty icky uniform in one bag.  When it came time to change for the second game, I just grabbed the other bag and got changed.  Everything got washed at the end of the day and reloaded into their proper bags. (I used plastic shopping bags this time; next time I will probably try mesh bags).
  4. Next time I go to IKEA I need to get one of these. One referee had one and I was absolutely drooling over it.
  5. Baby wipes are good not only for cleaning wheels, but for cleaning off sweat and funk after officiating.
  6. Bring blank paper.  I had to leave notes for people and was reduced to using paper plates.
  7. Take a picture of the brackets when the tournament is over. It helped me remember which teams played which games and made updating my officiating resume that much easier.
  8. Bring as much food as you can - meals add up.
    1. Poutine is the exception.  Always buy poutine if it's available.

No comments:

Post a Comment