Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Dilemmas, dilemmas

So for those of you scoring at home, I have bad eyesight (I know, a referee with bad vision.  how original).  For the majority of my life I wore contacts exclusively; in the last few years it's only been when I play derby. 

I'd always been leery of wearing them while playing; I've known skaters who fell and had their glasses cut their faces. (I had my own experience of this as a child - I got a door slammed right in my face and my glasses gave me a scar over my eyebrow [which I have since decorated with a piercing]).

Anyway.

Lately I feel that my distance vision isn't as sharp as it is in glasses, but that's just because it's been waaaay too long since I've had my contact lens prescription updated (that's getting taken care of in a few weeks).  They get dry and icky and can pop out on occasion (I had that happen to me as a player, mid-jam, once.  One of my teammates said "watching you put it back in looked so sanitary") and you can't immediately fall asleep after a game (which I tend to want to do at tournaments).

I bring this all up because it occurred to me that I've had my current hockey helmet for over four years now and it would probably be a good idea to get a new one. 

So there's a few things to think about -
  1. I can't fit my current glasses under a hockey helmet, but I could probably under an S-1 or Triple 8
  2. I could get sports goggles but they're kinda goofy looking*.
  3. Plus I've heard that they can fog up 
  4. A non-hockey helmet would be easier to decorate*
  5. There's not as much potential for face-cutting actions as a referee
    1. there's still some potential though
  6. Getting an updated contacts prescription will most likely resolve the distance issue, which right now is the most significant thing for me
  7. LASIK ain't gonna happen
*PRIORITIES, I HAS THEM

No comments:

Post a Comment