Friday, June 30, 2017

a weekend without any officiating OH MY GOD

I HRed the second half of scrimmage last night - it went okay.  Slowly but surely I'm learning.  Pack stuff changes so quickly - it's like "out of play in - you're in play now".  Then there's all the other stuff I gotta look out for.

Prompted by a thread I'm reading on FB about the reasons there is starting to be a lack of officials in high school sports and burnout, I decided to note how many games I have officiated since I started:

2017: 62
2016: 52
2015: 36
2014: 2 (I started in October)

(this is basically what's on my officiating resume, which includes things like 20 minute Beast of the East games and 30 minute ECDX challenge games)

I'm still definitely in the OMG OFFICIATING ROLLER DERBY IS THE GREATEST THING EVAR honeymoon phase.  I have to make myself take weekends off to ensure I don't burn out.  (it's not necessarily that I sit at home doing nothing - it's a "I have this thing I could go to, or I could officiate that game, I'll go to this thing.")

Anyway.  Things like ECDX and tournaments* are quite different for players than they are for officials.  Skaters might have three games an entire weekend - officials have that many in a DAY.  I had ELEVEN GAMES IN FOUR DAYS at Battle of the All-Stars.  It's a combination woodchipper and summer camp.
----
*I'm guessing - I never actually went to a tournament as a skater

No comments:

Post a Comment