Monday, June 1, 2015

jam reffing wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Jam reffed; didn't die!  I did screw up, though.

My jammer (purple) is lead, she gets knocked down by a red blocker.  Jammer starts complaining about the red blocker committed a penalty, I blow the whistle and then realize I didn't see the full action - I'm blowing it based on what she's saying.

Except for some reason I keep blowing the whistle and call the jam off.
So I accidentally called the jam off. 

Here's the thing, though - neither the purple jammer nor her bench complained that the jam got called off early. But I don't remember seeing the jammer trying to call it off.

At any rate, my fellow refs were like "that's okay, it happens.  Brush it off, you're doing fine."

(and as it turns out, the red blocker *did* commit a penalty. The OPR thought I was calling it, which is why she didn't.)

Other than that, it went well, and everyone seemed to think I did a good job.  I kept up with my jammer, caught all the star passes. I got to tell a jammer to return to her bench 'cause she didn't get on the track in time.  All in all, an exciting fun time.

I will not take my eyes off my jammer I will not take my eyes off my jammer
(picture courtesy of CK Photographic Systems.)

No comments:

Post a Comment