Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Beast of the East review

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Refereed my 100th game*
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Refereed an overtime jam**
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Was the only referee in one game without a significant beard***
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Had poutine with guacamole and corn dogs****
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Got a parking ticket outside the venue*****

*everyone gave me a big cheer in the locker room and the Head NSO had the announcers mention it too!
**hint: it's crazy.  There would've been one in the championship game too, but one of the teams requested an official review with 0:02 left on the clock
***I drew a line on my cheek with a Sharpie which represented my beard so I could fit in #TeamWhiteGuysWithBeards
****it's AMAZING
*****not all achievements are good

this was a great tournament - the games are only twenty minutes, so everyone plays on FULL INTENSITY the entire time.  The stands were packed with people who exploded with cheers.  I also got to do some jam timing, which I enjoyed.  Got to work with some fantastic officials who were so nice and encouraging (I took a few jams as the front OPR because I know it's something I need to work on, and I mentioned this to the other OPRs in that game.  After a few jams, one of the [Level 4 certified] refs said "you're doing great!" which felt good).

I did keep tripping myself up and falling, though.  I'm going to say it was because the floor was really grippy (which was awesome in the turns when jam reffing, because I wasn't drifting all over the place), but made it easier to get my feet all tangled.


Oh - and -

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Applied to referee D2 Playoffs/Championships******

******I have a snowball's chance in the sun, but what the heck

No comments:

Post a Comment