Wednesday, March 4, 2015

what's been happening in the land of Queenie?

Helped out with another home game, OPR.  It was much warmer in the venue, which was nice.

There was one situation where one team had too many blockers (four on the track and one in the box).  As soon as the whistle blew, I started calling for one of the blockers to leave the track, but she didn't hear me (I was at the pivot line, they were at the jammer line, the acoustics were horrible), so I just kept calling....and she didn't hear me.  At that point I was like oh crap I forget what should I do at this point and just kept yelling at any blocker who was close to me to get off the track and none of them heard me.

So, after the jam was over, I went to the middle and the Head Ref was like "oh, in that case you have the authority to whistle the jam dead and then immediately come into the middle and tell me why you called it dead."  Ok.  Now I know.

 Then there was a situation where the jammer's helmet cover got knocked off her head, and then she went to the penalty box, and another blocker picked it up. I ended up calling that blocker on a back block shortly thereafter, and then the other team's coach did an official review, and we were like oh yeah that's right she shouldn't have picked up the cover another 30 seconds in the box for you!

But other than those little flubs, I felt very good about my performance.  The pack speed was crazy insane fast; I have to work on keeping up.  We got great food afterwards (including some fantastic tuna noodle casserole).

Anyway, this upcoming Saturday there's a sanctioned bout out there, and I'm penalty box timing. Hopefully I remember how to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment