Wednesday, July 3, 2019

crunching along, as one does

INT. PRACTICE SPACE - NIGHT

OTHER SKATERS:
Queenie, are you okay?  You keep falling!

ME:
I'm trying something new!

Specifically, hockey stops and power slides.  I have gotten into the habit of stopping by doing turn-around toe-stops and coming to a complete stop before moving forward, which can be a problem if you're, say, following a jammer back and they swoop in and immediately rush forward.

So, I tried them, and I fell, and I did amazing spins because I had my weight distributed incorrectly, and I fell.

I also was trying not to use my left toe stop, as that's the foot with all the trouble.  I lowered my toe stop as far down as it would go (SKATES ARE GETTING CHUCKED IN THE RIVER) but it still bothered me.  I tried to break the muscle memory, and could during the drills, but once it came to more scrimmage-like things, left toe stop left toe stop left toe stop.  I went off skates for the last 45 minutes of practice or so.

I really hope the combination of partial toenail removal and new skates resolves this issue.
---------------------
Turns out the 8/3 event isn't a triple-header; it's only a single game.  That's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment