Friday, July 10, 2015

it's been quiet, this is true

our league's season is winding down - all that's left is our A team going to Akron (I won't be going; a friend of the family died and that's when her memorial mass is) and the All 8 on the Floor tournament at the beginning of August.

we did have scrimmage last night, though (on the 7th anniversary of my first derby practice; yay!). I jam reffed the first half and front IPRed the second.

IPRing is hard.  I feel like I'm supposed to juggle three balls but I can only handle two at a single time.  I get so wound up about "you're gonna have to watch the bridging and the racers and letting people know when they're out of play" that I forget - oh yeah, you have to also watch for other skaters committing penalties!  Gaaah! I also need to be louder with my calls (yeah, me, needing to be louder - first time I think that's ever been said before).  It's because I'm not sure of them.  I need to rely less on the lines on the floor and more on watching the bodies of the actual people.

Anyway, I just get kinda nervous when it comes to scrimmage night - it's supposed to be the "we're here to practice, we're here to learn and make mistakes," but I feel like the referees are expected to be on point and perfect and not miss a single thing. (This is probably mostly me projecting on myself - I tend to do that a lot.)

Fortunately my fellow zebras have been absolutely 100% supportive throughout this whole thing, and for that I am most grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment