Friday, October 24, 2014

OK LET'S DO THIS

I've been back on skates attending ref practices for about a month now.  There's usually a drill at the beginning of the session where we skate around the track, one ref is in the middle.  He/she will give a hand signal while maintaining eye contact with skating ref.  That ref needs to make up a call on a skater based on that hand signal.

Sometimes making up the color/number is the most difficult part.  I tend to stick with black, or white, or green (our league colors) and just rattle off whatever numbers enter my brain.  Sometimes I get goofy and give "chartreuse" or "plaid". 

Actually, no.  The most difficult part is when it comes down to the eighteen bazillion "illegal procedures" penalties.  I was given a mnemonic to help remember them (Illegal PERC, PUBES violation, FIST)*, but I'm skating and I'm like "Green, six nine one....um.....PUBES!"

Then we work on pack definition, talk about rule loopholes, etc. I finally understand OPR rotation now!

Last Thursday was the first league scrimmage I skated in as a ref.  I shadowed our Head Ref who was IPR and got completely overwhelmed.  DID THAT PERSON FALL AS A RESULT OF THAT ACTION OR DID THEY FALL ON THEIR OWN I DON'T KNOW GAAA WHY DID I DECIDE TO DO THIS ZOMFG I'VE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE.  I Blue Screen of Deathed after a while.

Last night I was put out on my own, as an OPR.  (The Head Ref warned everyone that I am new to this and not to yell at me when I miss calls.)

The result?

My very first call, the first time I put whistle to lips and blew....

...I called out the wrong color.

oops

But other than that, I think it went well.  I made some cutting calls, didn't call one cut call that I did see (the jammer was way down on the other side of the straightaway but I saw her put both hands out of bounds, I was all "that was a cut.  I should call that as a cut.  Two hands are a cut, right?  The loophole is the 'one handed cartwheel', two hands is a cut.  The jammer ref didn't call it, he probably saw something different than me."  The action was put under official review, jammer ref said "my view was blocked, I only saw one hand", I said "I saw two, I should've called it", and we went from there). No one yelled at me.

Lesson learned: call what you see.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to a league about an hour from here.  They have a junior derby league that practices the last Saturday of every month, and I've been told that it's a great training experience.  I will take all the training I can get.


______________
*Illegal:
  • Positioning
  • Engaging
  • Re-entry
  • Call-off
  • Penalty box violation
  • Uniform violation
  • Bench staff violation
  • Equipment violation
  • Star pass  violation

  • Failure to yield
  • Interference
  • Stalling
  • Too many skaters

3 comments:

  1. We still call out the wrong number, or color, or throw up the wrong hand signal. It's the joy of Officiating!! You did great for your first time rollin' solo! Also, you're gonna need to update your picture now that you've blinged out your stripes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think our HR said it best with "that was an example where it took two refs" (paraphrasing). As JR, I knew who all had superior position on her at the time of the block. You were positioned farther back and thus could not know that piece of the puzzle, so it was correct for you not to call a penalty. However, I was not able to see if she technically went "out" (ie: both hands), so I didn't have that piece, and also couldn't call a penalty. You, however, were able to see that from where you were. So, putting the pieces together, we then had all the information we needed. It's unfortunate that we weren't able to do that dynamically/live, but luckily it got ironed out as a result of the official review. As one ref I admire has said, "I like to look at official reviews as an opportunity to fix things." You did great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you will do great! I randomly reffed a bout like 5 years ago and it is hard. I have a lot of respect for those who work super hard to be a good ref. Hopefully see you ref sometime!

    ReplyDelete